Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cherry Clafoutis

Yay, the Cookbook Challenge is on again this year! I am a little bit behind the 8 ball, but have started with the first theme which is Stone Fruit. Wander on over to the Cookbook Challenge site for some of the great recipes that are already up!

My contribution of Theme 1 Stone Fruit
Cherry Clafoutis


I have been fascinated for a long time by the idea of clafoutis, but I've never eaten or made them. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how easy they are to make- essentially a baked custard with fruit.
They come from the Limousin region and are traditionally made with black cherries. You leave the pips in- they are supposed to taste better that way- and it makes them so easy to make!
I made them with cherries from the cherry lady at the Abbottsford Convent Slow Food market- I bought 2nds and they were absolutely choice! The recipe is from Stephane Reynaud's latest book 365. They were so easy to make and yummy. This recipe is a little bit to sweet, i think next time I would reduce the amount of sugar.
500g fresh cherries
240g caster sugar
60g plain flour
3 eggs
200ml full-cream milk (Reynaud is quite insistent about this in most of his recipes. I am but his obedient servant)
100ml cream (in case the full cream milk wasn't enough!)
20g butter
icing sugar

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
mix the cherries with 100g sugar.
Combine the flour, eggs, milk, cream and 120g of caster sugar.
Use the butter to grease a tart tin and dust with the remaining sugar (gives the rim a nice caramelly flavour)
Add the cherries, then pour in the cream mixture and bake for 30 mins.
Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.

(Also delicious cold!)

I would definitely make this again- it's one of those things, you've usually got all the ingredients in the cupboard/ fridge anyway, so just add some nice fruit and you have a great impulse dessert.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment